Admission Procedures — Doctor of Education
The Ed.D. faculty will assess your admission portfolio for the following: leadership ability, communication ability, and scholarship. We will accept about 24 students on the Aurora campus each year and an additional group in Wisconsin.
The required content for the admission portfolio includes:
- A completed application form.
- The names and addresses of at least three references.
- A person familiar with your academic work.
- A person familiar with your professional work such as a principal, department chair, etc. (not the same person as below).
- A person representing your school district or employer who can assess your leadership potential.
- One set of official transcripts for all graduate study showing completion of an appropriate master's degree from an accredited university. (See the Web page "Policy Regarding Academic Background", for an explanation of what constitutes an appropriate degree).
- A curriculum vitae or detailed resume that includes your work experience, educational background, professional experience, professional activities, honors, professional publications and/or presentations and other relevant information relating to the applicant's leadership background. Note: Refer to the web page "Criteria for Review of Candidates for Admission", to ensure that their curriculum vitae or resume addresses the concerns of the admission committee.
- A personal statement, approximately 1,000 to 2,000 words in length, describing your present goals and interests and showing their connection to prior experiences and to the Ed.D. program.
- One example of an accomplished scholarly or professional project/product/report/paper, etc. which you consider an indication of leadership and scholarship in curriculum/instruction and/or administration.
- A reflection on your submitted example, placing it in context and explaining clearly how it is a representation of your leadership/scholarship ability and potential.